Friday, May 13, 2016

Exposing the Myths About Dreadlocks

I keep in mind the times when society use to look upon dreadlocs as if who ever had them was contaminated.

Many authorities jobs prohibited employees from wearing braids and locks. Banks had gown code rules that didn't permit anybody to have locs and work for their establishments.

There was a damaging perception connected to those that chose to loc it up. The previous theory was that anybody carrying this hairdo was prison minded and was onerous pressed to search out employment. These attitudes made the job hunt for individuals with locs past tough.

This hair prejudice prolonged to, and was acted out blatantly by, the legislation enforcement. If a crime was dedicated and the alleged felony wore his hair in locs, anyone with locs was apprehended, questioned, and sometimes egregiously harassed.

It didn't matter if the rest of the bodily description (peak, weight, and complexion) didn't match; having dreads was enough to be a suspect.

These prejudice perceptions was held strongly by many older people in the African American neighborhood. Elders in many communities would see folks with dreads and frown. Some had no problem vocalizing their disdain: ?I want he would minimize that nappy stuff off?, not essentially in that good of manner. Or ?How do you expect for anyone to take you significantly with your hair like that??

Sadly, these ideas subconsciously penetrated my being as nicely. I at all times said that if I felt like my hair was holding me back, I might minimize it.

What is encouraging, is the truth that I've labored throughout this nation, rubbed elbows with many of corporate America's shot callers, and have been shocked by the acceptance of my hair.

It actually served as an ice-breaking dialog piece for individuals who have been curious. This allowed me to enlighten and share my pure hair journey with those who wasn't uncovered to it that always.

Now I see many actors, fashions, and public figures with locs. I've run into salesmen, managers, and plenty of government employees who've embraced their hair and their careers. Dreadlocked financial institution tellers have handled my transactions in banks. I've even seen a couple police officers with locs.

Teachers, nurses, medical doctors, and lots of entertainers have let their dreadlocks function an artwork stage and a personal form of expression.

Society's embracing of the dreadlock was inevitable. They simply wanted to be correctly launched and enlightened on the sweetness and historical past of our hair.

Once they've learned that not only the Rastafarian or Jamaicans are the only individuals who use this type of expression, their curiosity increases.

I personally refuse to let any detrimental connotations be attached to my beautiful locs.

I don't like when my hair is referred to as dreads, dreadlocks, or dreaded up, because I don't ?dread? something about my hair. My ?Locs? are extended expressions of magnificence from the essence of my soul and I like each strand of them.

Now individuals of all backgrounds of life ask me often: ?How do I get dreadlocks?? And, I reply: First recognize that these are usually not just a hair type?They are a life-style. Then simply twist and let the Creator Style them!

No comments:

Post a Comment